Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dumbbell vs Kettlebell...BATTLE

A couple Mondays ago I woke up with a very stiff low back, my left SI joint actually. I couldn’t quite put a finger on why it was bothering me, other than knowing that this is generally a troublesome area for me.

All of this got me to thinking, and then it all start to come together for me. I had gone to a local commercial facility on Sunday to train with my wife; and I had decided to hit some dumbbell snatches nothing massive just a few sets of 3 with a 75lb.

I have been training a lot with the KB lately and I started to put two and two together; and I came the conclusion that one the reasons that my back was probably so jacked on Monday morning was that I was trying to do dumbbell snatches the same as I was doing kettlebell snatches.

Guess I had to re-learn the hard way that I there is a difference between the two.


Let's start with what I was doing wrong; and that was trying to let the dumbbell swing back between my legs like a kettlebell, long story short this end up creating a more torque than my back is capable of handling.

A part of the reason for this extra torque is because most dumbbells have inherently more width than an equal size kettlbell, this width results in the additional torque along with the additional demand to stabilize and get the hips and back which is an area that I definitely have difficulty with.

What should I do to avoid this situation occurring again?

I need to perform the dumbbell snatch as more of vertical movement and probably better suited to at least for myself to insert a pause in between each repetition, instead of trying to swing the dumbbell.

Which is better a kettlebell snatch or a dumbbell snatch?

I guess I have to stick to the status quo lame answer: ‘It Depends’ on your goal and what equipment you have available.

In my opinion any time you can get some snatches into your program it is a good training day. As long as you are aware that there is a difference between the different types and perform them properly.

Learn from my mistake, so you don’t get a bad impression of the dumbbell, kettlebell or any kind of snatch for the matter.


Troy M Anderson, KFS Instructor
Kettlebell Certification

No comments: